What's new
Wild Pack Wisdom
Join our tribe today and walk
the mystical path with fellow souls.

Registration is free, join today!

How do you celebrate your birthday - or not?

Mama Bear

Administrator
Owner
Got some friends whose birthdays are coming up. For various reasons none of them are looking forward to it. Growing up I was always taught that others should honor your birthday - or not. It's only been in recent years I began thinking that's such flawed 'logic'. The moment you're conceived is sacred. The moment you manifest into this reality - even more so. In this, on that powerfully sacred day, I believe we should take some time to celebrate our own spirit, soul, human form, et al.

What do y'all think?

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

Marsha Taylor

Got some friends whose birthdays are coming up. For various reasons none of them are looking forward to it. Growing up I was always taught that others should honor your birthday - or not. It's only been in recent years I began thinking that's such flawed 'logic'. The moment you're conceived is sacred. The moment you manifest into this reality - even more so. In this, on that powerfully sacred day, I believe we should take some time to celebrate our own spirit, soul, human form, et al.

What do y'all think?

Marsha Taylor

Birthdays were never a big deal growing up, for me I think it was a day my mom would rather forget happened.The day only seemed special to me, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that being here is MY scared contract, therefore, it’s my time to honor all parts that I am. My birthday is next month( July 8) and this year for the first time I’m setting an intention for a very personal situation to happen. I’ve never set an intention, hope I did it right, I’m still learning so I’m not sure if there’s a right or wrong way to do it. I know me well enough to know that I will cry a little bit if this goes south, and then I will have to pull up my big girl panties, and set the pain free.The emotional roller coaster of being a water sign!!!!!

Grasshopper

I really have no expectations. Many years I would remember everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, silly little things they like. This was back when I was traveling. During that time, I always seemed forgotten. After a while, I just stopped.

My kids are catch as catch can about remembering. So, it's only a day older (and deeper in debt LOL) ♫

mawbbb

What do y'all think?

I always try to remember birthdays!! I think it's important unless someone tells me otherwise. My uncle hated when people wished him a happy birthday so I sent him a sympathy card one year. Mine was May 27th (again, thank you SOOOOO much Mama Bear 🐻 and everyone else for the wishes!) and falls around Memorial Day weekend. That's when I celebrate all weekend long, not just that day! I also celebrate my fur kids' birthdays. ☺️

Gayle Wyant

I have always made a big deal about other people's birthdays and mine was always forgotten or co-opted into some other event or combo of birthdays. For about 10 years I left and went out of town to a festival for that week, my birthday is the summer solstice (21) and yes a water sign by a minute. Now I have no plans since I moved half of the country away and don't know hardly anyone here. I will celebrate my having made it yet another year, I still have things to do here!

Pearlized

Birthdays seems to be more of a private thing here. Mainly because hubby's birthdays as a kid were not good. I have tried to boost him up for them Tried to make them special just for him. Which is fine as long as i dont go over board, like i did a bit last Sept for his 60th.

We were on holiday, as we usually try to do a holiday for both our birthdays and wedding anniversary. Wedding anniversary is a few days before his birthday, so we blend the 2.

So last year we had booked a meal I ordered a fancy chocolate cake from a local bakery and left it at the restaurant for that night. It did not go down as well as i had hoped. But it is what it is.

For my 60th 3 years ago, we had a weekend away then home for the day itself. Hubby was ill due to eating soy meat sausages for breakfast, which we were not told they were the morning before.

I went out met friends and then from Putting my coat on to walk home To hubby having to take my boots off because the zip refused to cooperate. It a blank. I mean total blank.

So that 15 min walk home did not exist at all.

Stolen by aliens or something. 😁 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🦋

Troopsmom

I try my best to celebrate my birthday by doing things that bring me joy and make me appreciate being alive. Having spent a large chunk of my life struggling with major depressive disorder, I am aware that the fact that I am alive is a blessing itself and I try to do things that celebrate the fact that I am still alive. This past year I allowed myself to stay in Nashville for a few days after a wedding I was attending so I could spend my birthday in Music City for a change and I am so glad that I did!

I spent the day walking around the campus of my alma mater and then I met up with one of my favorite couples ever in my favorite park for a picnic, during which I ate my favorite meal from my favorite mexican restaurant that holds so many glorious memories. That evening I met with another one of my favorite couples at one of my favorite middle Tennessee restaurants for a celebratory birthday dinner.

This year my birthday is on a Tuesday and it most likely will consist of spending time outdoors in some capacity, maybe even a day trip to the beach, who knows!

MN Lisa

The older I get, the more I appreciate my birthdays. I intentionally do what brings me the most joy especially on that day - whether loved ones are able to be with me or not on the day. When I was younger I was fearful time was slipping away but the older I get there's an ease I didn't appreciate as my younger self. Maybe it's because I've grown into who I am. My birthday is in August so it's coming soon!

Mama Bear

Administrator
Owner
Birthdays were never a big deal growing up, for me I think it was a day my mom would rather forget happened.The day only seemed special to me, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that being here is MY scared contract, therefore, it’s my time to honor all parts that I am. My birthday is next month( July 8) and this year for the first time I’m setting an intention for a very personal situation to happen. I’ve never set an intention, hope I did it right, I’m still learning so I’m not sure if there’s a right or wrong way to do it. I know me well enough to know that I will cry a little bit if this goes south, and then I will have to pull up my big girl panties, and set the pain free.The emotional roller coaster of being a water sign!!!!!

Setting an intention is a really personal process but it boils down to being very, very specific (include "in this universe and reality " and what will make your spirit feel the most "confident and strong". Hope that makes sense.

Mama Bear

Administrator
Owner
I wish I had nice birthday memories but up until after my 40th - birthdays had issues. Birthdays now are - eh except for I get home made lemon pie!

I also personally love making and giving cards = so I find all kinds of reasons to make a card and give it to people.

I'm really sorry you experience that. Do you want to turn it around?

Gayle Wyant

I wish I had nice birthday memories but up until after my 40th - birthdays had issues. Birthdays now are - eh except for I get home made lemon pie!

I also personally love making and giving cards = so I find all kinds of reasons to make a card and give it to people.
Me too! Giving cards is so much fun and is becoming a lost art! Much like handwritten letters! Which I also love to send! FYI thatlastchanceCrone they no longer teach handwriting in schools, and that is so sad and a mistake in my opinion! Cards and letters, grammar and spelling are becoming a lost art! 😫😖😣😓

Mama Bear

Administrator
Owner
Me too! Giving cards is so much fun and is becoming a lost art! Much like handwritten letters! Which I also love to send! FYI thatlastchanceCrone they no longer teach handwriting in schools, and that is so sad and a mistake in my opinion! Cards and letters, grammar and spelling are becoming a lost art! 😫😖😣😓

You said it, sister - "...grammar and spelling are becoming a lost art!". Did you know that the average American can only read on a 7/8th grade level?

TheLastChanceCrone

they no longer teach handwriting in schools
UG UG UG .... I know all my daughters are all teaching my grandchildren both standard handwriting and the same thing I did with them, teach them calligraphy.

I totally agree @Gayle Wyant totally lost art. Btw, do you do stamping too? We should gaggle about our cards :) I just bought the zodiac signs in dies so i could create birthday cards that are zodiac specific.... I have some ideas between crystals, elements and color.

TheLastChanceCrone

Did you know that the average American can only read on a 7/8th grade level?
Okay color me clueless - but I never understood this growing up and I still don't understand this. How do they determine what is specific reading level? (I know we did that reading and comprehensive test each year)

I was reading most of the classics by 4th grade (Little Women, all of Charles Dickens, ton of science fiction John Christopher, HG Wells, Ray Bradbury, my love of Fantasy Ursula K. Le Guin, C.S. Lewis of course, and even Brothers Grimm and not the children's version books)

We went to the public library since I was a wee child. I had my own card, and at least my parents for the most part like me pick out and read what I want to read. We would also go to the Goodwill and scourge through the books. I have all of the Polly Pepper books - originals. Mind you I didn't quite know that collecting them would be worth money but I collected them because I loved reading them. Didn't read Tolkien until 7th grade.

In class I always maxed out the Reader card system, even though I would be assigned a lower level to start, and had at least more points on my reading card (there was one or two other folks who read more than me) and won higher level ribbons.

My favorites (re-reads) James and the Giant Peach, The Last Unicorn, White Mountains/Tripod Series, Narnia Series!!!! and my all time favorite From the Mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - I spent the entire summer in 6th grade planning my own escape to the Seattle City Met Museum, because of this book. I wanted to live in a museum because of that book.

We would always take the reading and comprehension test each year, and I was always told I was reading at lower levels... yet I can't recall anyone reading half of what I was reading both in volume and level.

Even when my kids - all of which were exposed early, learned to read early and love reading, and had access to both the house library and the public, had the same situation, when tested were told they were reading at lower levels.

IT Never made sense as a child, it never made sense as a parent, and it still doesn't make sense as an grandmother who knows that her granddaughter just finished Harry Potter - at 6 years old- and wants to be like Hagrid

TheLastChanceCrone

'm really sorry you experience that. Do you want to turn it around?
I actually do something different now; because honestly I am grateful and blessed to wake up each morning. For a while now I look at time a little differently and living with a someone for over 25 years, who had cancer at a very young age, who nobody (including the drs) thought he would like to 50, and has had three strokes since we were together, has made a serious impact on how we view dates/days.

We went through darkest hour of our life - pre-planning funeral arrangements when he went in to get his first stent inserted into his carotid artery in 2009, being told that he had a 50/50% survival rate. So it was a that moment I realized how precious every day is. For both of us.

We started after that to have every day a celebration of life - even if we just take 10 minutes out and do something a little special.

More so, you really never know what tomorrow will bring so we even with Anniversaries, and such we focus on making sure we say and hug at night before we both go to sleep - I love you. And we hug in the morning (he brings me coffee) and we say the same thing - and really mean it.

More so we have an unique perspective on celebrations in general with him working in the Probate/Estate legal space.
STUFF - Lots and lots of Stuff.

Over the years I have incorporated -don't put it off- Not as good as I would like. That's where the cards come in. I don't wait for birthdays or holidays to send out cards to others. Like today I am going to go make my daughter a digital banner and have it printed and sent to her to help her.

Gayle Wyant

I actually do something different now; because honestly I am grateful and blessed to wake up each morning. For a while now I look at time a little differently and living with a someone for over 25 years, who had cancer at a very young age, who nobody (including the drs) thought he would like to 50, and has had three strokes since we were together, has made a serious impact on how we view dates/days.

We went through darkest hour of our life - pre-planning funeral arrangements when he went in to get his first stent inserted into his carotid artery in 2009, being told that he had a 50/50% survival rate. So it was a that moment I realized how precious every day is. For both of us.

We started after that to have every day a celebration of life - even if we just take 10 minutes out and do something a little special.

More so, you really never know what tomorrow will bring so we even with Anniversaries, and such we focus on making sure we say and hug at night before we both go to sleep - I love you. And we hug in the morning (he brings me coffee) and we say the same thing - and really mean it.

More so we have an unique perspective on celebrations in general with him working in the Probate/Estate legal space.
STUFF - Lots and lots of Stuff.

Over the years I have incorporated -don't put it off- Not as good as I would like. That's where the cards come in. I don't wait for birthdays or holidays to send out cards to others. Like today I am going to go make my daughter a digital banner and have it printed and sent to her to help her.
That is truly beautiful! Good for y'all!

Gayle Wyant

UG UG UG .... I know all my daughters are all teaching my grandchildren both standard handwriting and the same thing I did with them, teach them calligraphy.

I totally agree @Gayle Wyant totally lost art. Btw, do you do stamping too? We should gaggle about our cards :) I just bought the zodiac signs in dies so i could create birthday cards that are zodiac specific.... I have some ideas between crystals, elements and color.
Yes stamping, drawing, painting all of it! I'm in Oregon though and aren't you basically in the Midwest? Not sure how that works out?